<% appTitle="Ridecamp Archives" %> Ridecamp: Re: [RC] Dressage schooling your horse for endurance
Ridecamp@Endurance.Net

Current to Wed Jul 23 17:38:49 GMT 2003
  • - Laurie Durgin
  • - Maryanne Stroud Gabbani

    Re: [RC] Dressage schooling your horse for endurance - Laurie Durgin

    I have taken dressage lessons (1.5 yr. ) and have "Crosstrain your Horse" so I am not an expert., but I am trying to encorporate it in my training. I taught him to half-halt and am working on lateral movements, I do lots of circles, and serpentines and he moves off of leg cues very well. I use a Waterford bit on the trail (an english bit). It looks like ballbearings connected. It seems to sit mildly in his mouth, he eats pretty well in it. But If  I need some "leverage " on he trail  it will stop him. He can't lean on it because it "collapses". A snaffle on the trail wouldn't stop him, and pulled my arms out trying to rate him.  A pelham made him buck. I tried a Milar snaffle, but he had trouble eating in it.  Laurie and Rascal

    ----- Original Message -----
    From: Kitty Bo Wilson
    Sent: Wednesday, November 06, 2002 7:28 AM
    To: ridecamp@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
    Subject: [RC] Dressage schooling your horse for endurance

    My chief interest in riding is dressage, although because of my health and then an injury to my horse, I haven't gotten past training level.  But I still have a basic love and appreciation of dressage.  I was wondering how many of you actually take time to train your horse to go on the bit, at least as far as being able to package him and move him off your seat and leg?  What kind of bits do you ride your races in?  I can understand wanting to use a training fork, but I should think this would tend to make the horse lean on the bit.

    Do you Yahoo!?
    HotJobs - Search new jobs daily now