<% appTitle="Ridecamp Archives" %> Ridecamp: [RC] blanketing
Ridecamp@Endurance.Net

Current to Wed Jul 23 17:38:50 GMT 2003
  • - Laurie Durgin
  • - Heidi Smith

    [RC] blanketing - Debra Ager

    From: "Terry Taylor" <TTaylor@xxxxxxxx

    is it better to put a blanket on an
    endurance horse on winter nights or is OK to let their coat grow long

    I'd let the coat grow long.  It takes longer to dry them off after working, but it's worth it as far as the comfort of the horse is concerned.  I think horses are probably more comfortable naked anyway, even if they do shiver in the cold.  Just make sure they can get out of the wind when they want to.

    A couple of years ago, I attended the Frigid Digit ride in Texas in February.  The week leading up to the ride had temperatures in the high 70's to low 80's, so I bodyclipped my wooly yak.  The Friday before the ride a "blue norther" came in, and when we arrived at camp, there was snow on the ground and the trees were covered in ice.  I put two blankets and a cooler on my poor clipped boy and he was still miserably cold.  Ride morning dawned a sunny 19 degrees F.  The ride was gorgeous, and my horse was grateful to be able to get warmed up with the exercise (he didn't sweat a drop all day, and I think we top-tenned).  The temperature never got above 30 degrees, and I have to say it was the most beautiful ride I have ever attended, since the ice covered trees were sparkling in the sunlight all day.  Cold as the proverbial witch's t--, though, and I decided never to bodyclip again.  It's worth the extra drying time to not have to worry about their comfort the rest of the time.

    Debbie