<% appTitle="Ridecamp Archives" %> Ridecamp: Talledega and Newbie Re: [RC] funny story
Ridecamp@Endurance.Net

Current to Wed Jul 23 17:38:50 GMT 2003
  • - firedancefarms
  • - Debra Ager

    Talledega and Newbie Re: [RC] funny story - Laurie Durgin

    Sorry I missed her. My daughter and I did the pleasure ride. Said it was 12 miles. But felt longer to us. Husband said a bunch of people said ,"Aren't those pleasure riders back from their 16 miles yet?" Including one of the vets. We did just what I planned, rode slow easy training ride. Our horses had just been body clipped and never sweated, (well Champ butt did, but he always does)We came in  and had pulses of less than 60 and 44 on the second loop, and went straight to our "vet checks".(They were so cute) I had wanted to see what Rascal would do in a new place with other horse moving past etc. He wanted to 'take off "
    the first 2 miles. But I firmly planted his head in Champs butt and told Charity to only walk till he remembered I was there too.Then we trotted some , jumped a few logs, made them walk the hills(boy, Rascal wanted to trot those). We only were front shod, Rascal has tough feet, but Champ gets tender on rocks; so there were portions  if  we'd had shoes on him, we would have trotted more. Didn't realise the  yellow loop had  at least 2-3 ? miles of gravel road. Then there were lots of roots and rocks.(But since it is only 45 miles from my house,it is the same terrain I train Rascal in.)\
    But when they handed out those Topo maps I freaked (inwardly,400 ft.drops and the  little ele. map looked like hugh mountain drops to fall off of .When  we were out we had 3 humps about 3 ft. high to cross and Charity said "Look mom, there 's those humps on the map"LOL.
    I found that when  rider came up,Rascal  said "let me go with them mom! I'm sick of Champs  butt in my face and  he walks like a granpa  anyway !". Finally I let  him pass Champ and go off at a trot and canter to get Champ to trot. Champ could have cared less. So Rascal got pulled up and got to eat grass till Champ caught up. Later near the end I went ahad again, Rascal did not need a babysitter anymore and we were trotting upto the finish line,with people sitting around it and flags overhead when Rascal stopped dead 12 feet from it. ."Finally, something I can spook at! no couches, no burnout cars, no refrigerators, no tvs bashed in no trash on this trail. >g<"The people cracked up and started saying"it's ok, baby, you can come in" Finally he realised ,those lumps were people and  trotted on .
      It was nice to get an idea of his behavior, and my first Ld will be eaiser for me now that I've done this. I think I will be more relaxed because I'll know what  to  expect.I also got an idea of the trail there since it is so close. fHe camps just fine and was the energiser bunny when were were done. he probably could have done the 30,slowly. But I want to conditionhis "wind better"than it is now.
    We did "scare the saddleclub riders that were there " with our coolers on our horses. Course they scared me with their tiedowns on their horses so tight they have maybe 2-4 inches of slack from headset. They were polite to us on the trail, forgiving the cracks about us "needing to hurry up, we were way behind" jokes.(We were planning to be last on the pleasure ride, this was a training ride for Rascal in protocal:}).
      We did try to get out of everyones way,although Rascal got a bit nervous when they came up behind him to pass. I "tried to get him off the trail" but sometimes he just froze or I had to kick him to get him to move off. (And he hates to be kicked). But no incidents, he  just wanted to go with them as soon as they passed.
    We didn't freeze that night(30's) tent,I slept ok with  the foam pad over my air mattress ,that Idea from ride camp really worked . I had a 20 degree bag, plus and old quilt on top. And my hat and gloves and long underwear under a sweatsuit.>VBG<.
         The only problem the vet noticed was a slight soreness at end of saddle.She said it wasn't aproblem,but could be ina longer ride. She said some other riders had that problem and I probably  just needed a thicker pad. I only had my tacky, tack pad on.And it did slip!the first loop. However  1)I forgot my crupper,2)and my girth,Luckily,Nancy S? lent me one "thanks a million " I almost cried when I went to saddle up . But had to run errands and got home late to pack and daughter and husband had packed some. (moral:pack 2 days before, make a master list and take 2 of everything).
      So I guess I will sew some strings on my tacky tack to tie to saddle and add another pad to the saddle and try to tie it too. When  I got my saddle  they said to use a thick pad under it. I guess I'll try one of my toklets first before I buy anything.
    The only thing odd he did was bite at his side after I removed the saddle, like he was real itchy. Now he rubs alot after riding (his head) so I assume he was itchy, right  above the girth under the saddle, he was sweaty under the saddle. I rubbed that area and he seemed to like that, but didn't notice anything else. He has done it at  home, but I wonder if something else could be going on?
          Nice trails, l missed seeing any wildlife, like I do here, guess all the horses scared them off. We did hear wildlife at night, our little dog kept growling at them. Forgot to ask about bears, we get them here once in a blue moon ( we did put all food in the trailer ) . Laurie and Rascal ----- Original Message -----
    From: Rides 2 Far
    Sent: Sunday, November 03, 2002 10:00 AM
    To: ridecamp@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
    Subject: [RC] funny story

    Dave Bennett just called me from the road on his way back from Hungry
    Buzzard. He said it was tough and took a long time to finish. The winner
    of the 60 took well over 8 hrs.  By the way, Debi Ivey on 21 yr. old Vali
    Hifayzera was something like 3rd. :-)

    Anyway, he told a story I thought was hilarious. You know, we like to
    think we're tough, but then somebody else is always so much tougher that
    we start to feel like we're not at all exceptional. I think I want to
    compare myself to this lady from now on.

    Dave said he was riding along taking it easy on the 30 since it was first
    time riding his wife's horse when at about 25 mi. he came up on a woman
    laying on the side of the trail holding her horse's reins. He said, "Are
    you hurt?"  She said, "No, just exhausted".  He asked if he could help,
    she said, "No, if I get back on my horse I'll just fall off". So...they
    sent a trailer out to bring her in. >g<  He also mentioned that besides
    the endurance riding going on a group of 92 riders from a trail riding
    club showed up to ride the trails.  Wonder if any of them came up on her
    during her down time? That should help our image.

    Angie