WCM Bearumark Morgan

Well, I find it quite flattering to hear that Beau is a topic on
ridecamp.  He turns 20 this year and is quite a legend in his own
time.  I feel fortunate to have had the opportunity to be part of this
horses career for he taught me more than any other horse I have
owned.
Beau takes after his maternal great grandmother, Norma.  If you
saw her picture, you would see Beau!  She was owned by UVM
and since they could not catch her or train her, they bred her!  She
produced UVM Flash and Trophy, both prolific sires of their day.
He also takes after the Lippitt breeding through Dyberry Bob,
Lippitt Miss Nekomias son.  Tough, tough, tough.
We bought Beau at an auction as a two year old driving as a pair.
He was, and is, a superb driving horse, having won Devon in 1987.
But I always wanted to get him on the trail and when I did, he was
amazing.  After 5000 CTR and endurance miles, he is still sound
and still winning.  Some kind of horse.
As for endurance, Morgans are very different from Arabs no matter
how fit they are.  Beau could outlast anything on the trail, but he
could not "race".  He did manage to top ten most of is rides, 100's
and 50's and he was very cool to compete.
I will say that endurance vets have become much more
understanding about some of the "curve balls" Morgans will throw
at them.  Weird as their metabolics can seem, give them some
food, a little rest and they will be fine.  Such a thing happened at
the Vermont 100 last summer at 80 miles with a Morgan.  I was
grateful to hear the vets discuss that since it was a Morgan, they
understood.  The rider was careful coming in and the horse looked
terrific.
If you want to ride a horse that will never quit, ride a Morgan!!
John and Sue Greenall
mailto:greenall@vermontel.net
http://www.vermontel.com/~greenall