Re: RC: Re: Tom Thumbs

At 07:48 PM 1/21/02 -0500, you wrote:
>The problem with the tom thumb is that it combines a single joint, a
>longish shank (longer than a kimberwicke, anyway), and a curb chain.
>There's a nutcracker effect that's unique to the jointed curb.

The easiest way to get an idea of the problem(s) with a TT is to watch the
reaction of the horse who's wearing one.  The TT simultaneously hits the
roof of the mouth, presses on the tongue, pinches the mouth edges and
levers (vises) the lower jaw under the most gentlest of hands.

It is often referred to as the "colt starting bit" and therefore it is used
when
gentle hands are the least effective.

A very high percentage of the runaway horses brought to me are ridden in TTs.

Marv "Tom Thumbs are Terrible Things." Walker