Starting out

I would start by finding endurance riders near you.  If you don't know any, post your area here, and I'm sure someone will respond.  Talk to a ride manager, volunteer at some rides, meet people, learn.  I'm still doing all of the above until I can find a horse that will stay SOUND for more than a month at a time :(
Good luck, most areas have a ton of people that would like to help out. That's what endurance riders do.

Judy