Saddle Pad?

Scott Ehredt fastgraphic@cs.com
I ride a Standardbred, 15.2hh with fairly large withers.  For regular
trail riding I have been using a thick felt pad under a Bighorn synthetic
saddle.  I will be riding in my first LD (Hog Wild 25) in April and would
greatly appreciate suggestions on what sort of pad to use.  The felt pad
is large and covers too much of the horse's back.  I have tried my wife's
smaller neoprene pad and it is better, but I am not so sure about the
rubber against the horse for a long ride.  PLEASE bespecific with a name
brand, etc. so I can find what your are suggesting and try it out?
THANKS!