<% appTitle="Ridecamp Archives" %> Ridecamp: [RC] Osceola Ride
Ridecamp@Endurance.Net

Current to Wed Jul 23 17:34:47 GMT 2003
  • - Laurie Durgin
  • - Mary Sutliff

    [RC] Osceola Ride - Howard Bramhall

    Please come to this ride.  This is a great campsite, the trails are exceptional, and I swear, the sand is not deep here (nobody ever believes me when I say that about a Florida ride, but here, it's true, I swear).  I'm brining my new horse; I have no idea what pace we are going to keep, but, let's just say the wife is Jen's sponsor for this one because I told them I might not be able to stay with you guys.  "American Spirit" is absolutely crazy, like his owner, and I think we might be up there with the front runners on that first loop (sorry, Jean, no turtle for "America").

    Anyway, please come, some of you Georgia folks owe me cause I always go to your rides (hint, hint).  And, if you watched the news today you saw what happens when you get Georgia folks, Floridians (who still haven't figured out how to vote yet) and a couple of Arabs together.  Man, I swear, I knew when they closed Alligator Alley today and found out there was a woman from North Georgia involved, that this thing was not going to turn out as anyone first thought it would.  And, I was right (rarely happens, but once in awhile).

    Too funny, although not really, but, hey, we really shouldn't stare at them like that, so, maybe, there's a lesson here.  Heck, I don't know.  If I had heard them say what they did I would have gone over there and sat with them to see if they were for real or just fooling around.  I don't like calling the cops, and who on earth would want those CNN cameras in your face, so, I'd just sit with them and ask if they would mind if I took a look in the trunk of their car or, if they said no, tell them I was going to call the FBI.  Kill me if you want to try, but I ride a horse named "America," and I'm not afraid to die.

    Haha, actually, I'm scared to death of dying, but that's another story.  Speaking of dying, the wife and I went on a training ride today, thru Tropical Storm Hanna.  The sky looked kind of clear when we left the house, but, less than an hour out, the rain was coming down in buckets and lightning was everywhere.  As we were tearing back to the house for dear life, I thought we had run into the formation of a tornado, because the sky was so black, the wind was horrendous and the rain was coming sideways.  One of the many dead trees we have in the woods where we train (dead from the fires of 1998, but still standing) broke right in front of America as we were galloping back home.  He flinched a little, but the Paint, Moonlight Princess, flinched a lot more and dumped the wife right on her butt in the pouring rain with torrential wind and constant lightning (very scary, if you haven't caught on to that).  Wife was OK, got up, the horse hung around, and Erica remounted.  Only endurance riders would go out in this kind of crap!

    Friday the 13th, Arab men shutting down Alligator Alley for over 12 hours because a woman from North Georgia called the POLICE and Tropical Storm Hanna kicking butt.  A good day for an endurance training ride, I must say.

    Anyway, please come to Osceola.  The ride application is easily downloaded at http://www.floridaendurance.com/rideapplications/osceola/osceolaentry.htm

    I realize it's the same week-end as the Biltmore, but everyone is going to the Biltmore and you know how friggen long those vet lies will be at the Biltmore and you know how far away you'll have to set up your campsite from the vet check area at the Biltmore and you'll know you'll just be absolutely miserable with all those dogs and onlookers and too many riders and horses and just so much going on at the Biltmore, and it always rains at the Biltmore.................so, instead, come down to sunny, dry, mosquito free (we sprayed, heavily) Florida, we're just over that Georgia border (whatever you do, do not stop at Shoney's on the way down) and we'll take darn good care of you, I promise.  It's not too late to send in that application, no late fees for mailing right now, so do it today.

    cya,
    Howard  (who the heck scheduled this ride the same as The Biltmore anyway?????)