<% appTitle="Ridecamp Archives" %> Ridecamp: Re: [RC] How soon to take green horse on 1st trailride?
Ridecamp@Endurance.Net

Current to Wed Jul 23 17:34:20 GMT 2003
  • - Heidi Smith
  • - Lisa Tucker

    Re: [RC] How soon to take green horse on 1st trailride? - Heidi Smith

    We take ours out about the second or third ride--much more interesting outside, occupies their minds better, and we can teach 'em a lot of that "arena stuff" in places where the trail lends itself to particular lessons.  We start out with a buddy horse for confidence, but find they get much more self-confident much faster outside than they do in the arena.  There's something about outside that lends itself much better to the idea of going forward, and you can utilize that later in the arena off and on to fine-tune as you need to.

    Heidi

    ----- Original Message -----
    Sent: Friday, September 06, 2002 11:54 AM
    Subject: [RC] How soon to take green horse on 1st trailride?

    Well this is Rascals girlfriend Honey. The 7 yr.old I just started backing last fall and this summer. Gist is:She was in pasture 4 1/2 yr, little handling. I've had her 3y.Had to lern to ride decent.  studied John lyons techniques and have used with her. She was very spooky and suspiousious of everything new. Tended to bolt if frightened. Have worked Verrrry slowly with her till she really trusts me and both of us are more confident.People make fun of me for taking her so slow, but what the heck its my horse. I have now ridden her in our arena 30-50 times. We are at the walk, stop, turn, getting light on the bit practices, One rein stops, stopping when I get off balance. Going round cones, serpentines. But all at a walk. She is now showing her lazy side. She has only trotted a couple times 2x with me  last fall, one of which she spooked and bolted. She gets tense when she trotted before.
    I have tapped her to get her moving under saddle,(3x then she moved off my leg)Only tapping, harsh use of a whip would terroize her. She is smart, and if I take small steps, she is fine and willing.
     Now the dilemma. . .
    Should I get her trotting in the ring with some force, (tapping with crop till she does)?Before I take her out? Or should I take her on a walking trailride (with her two trailriding buddys) first? and let trotting come natural.
      John Lyons says don't force then to trot, just wait ,till they do it and then pick up rein and slow then or turn then if they get excited.
      She is actually lazy in the ring, and to get her into a faster walk, as opposed to a plug walk (while falling asleep). I have to Squeeze, squeeze, etc. I have been considering using a crop or spurs,. I know she trust me a lot more  than when she first came here and spook training helped her alot. She has spooked 2 times under saddle, but the last time she stopped the bolt when I gave her the one rein stop. Ah, progress. But I think she is getting bored. (Which for her is a good thing sometimes)
     So should I do more in ring? Like getting trot (but having to force it) or just riding her out, and waiting for her to trot with the others, like  John Lyons says? Is it time to ride her out on trail? Should I do years in the ring , like show horses?Or get her out on the trail? After the bucks, and spins from Rascal, she couldn't surprise me any more than he did. He is such a great confidence builder. She isn't trying to take charge like he does, hers is a just, what do you want and don't hurt me.with a bit or laziness thrown in. She is a half/arab, pinto BS(96% arab, from Khemosabi, Crabbet mix).