<% appTitle="Ridecamp Archives" %> Ridecamp: Re: [RC] trailer loading
Ridecamp@Endurance.Net

Current to Wed Jul 23 17:34:23 GMT 2003
  • - Bobbie Brown
  • - Howard Bramhall

    Re: [RC] trailer loading - Rebecca Rohwer

    Sherie,
         I had a major trailer loading problem earlier this summer with my 3 year old gelding.  I took him to a ride with me just for the travel experience.  When I was ready to load up to come home we had a battle royal for one hour.  I mean this horse was in the air, on the ground and every where but in the trailer.  Luckly I had some very patient and helpful riders come to my rescue.  I really paniced because I had sent in a deposit for a 4 day clinic and I needed to trailer the brat to the clinic.  I went to a local western store and rented Buck Brannaman and Clinton Anderson's trailer loading videos.  When at the store I met a girl that told me she could get my boy in the trailer.  I was skeptical because she was kind of young, but agreed to have her come and try.
         She showed up with a stiff buggy whip in hand and a stud chain as the boy was wanting to rear also.  We proceeded to go to work.  She ran the stud chain through the halter up over the nose and attached the lead rope to the ring of the chain.  Then with the buggy whip she proceeded to use the tap tap method.  When he tried to pull back and rear she gave several good tugs on the lead rope.  He quickly learned that keeping all four feet on the ground was a good thing.  If rearing is not a problem you might skip this step.  She continued with the tapping on the rear with the buggy whip.  When the horse moved in the wrong direction the tapping became harder and more insistent for instance when she turns sideways to avoid the trailer.  When ever the gelding made any forward movement in the direction of the trailer the tapping was immediately stopped and major praise was given to the horse.  Then the tapping started again, continued until forward movement was made by the horse, then again immediate praise.
         It took quite awhile for him to finally get in the first time, but within 1 hour we loaded and unloaded him 7 times.  There were also treats in the trailer for when he did get in.  He wasn't entirely cured, it took me several more times working with him in the same manner to get him going in nicely.
         As far as the backing out is concerned, this was covered well in Buck's tape.  If the horse wants to come out fast, that's OK.  Be sure you are out of the way.  But, then load in again.  If you can get the horse to stand for a little longer before she comes out, that is good.  If you can pet her hind while she is standing there, that is good too.  If she wants to come out, let her, but load back again until she discovers that she doesn't need to feel trapped immediately when she gets into the trailer.  So when you do get her in, don't slam the door shut immediately.  That can just make them panic.
         You really need to do this when you have time to work all the way through.  If you give up half way you loose and have just reinforced that she doesn't need to get in the trailer and be calm.  It's scary, I know because it was for me until I watched the gal work with my boy.  She was smaller than me and younger than me, but she took command and didn't give up until she got the results she wanted.  She made me a believer that all 5' 2" of me could work with my horse and get results.
         By the way, the clinic I went to was a Brannaman colt starting clinic.  I was so afraid that my boy wouldn't load when I left that clinic.  But to my amazement and delight with no fuss at all he lead right by me and walked as calmly as you please into the trailer.  A two horse at that.

    Good Luck,
    Becky R.

    ----- Original Message -----
    From: Ridecamp Guest
    Sent: Monday, September 02, 2002 5:55 PM
    To: ridecamp@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
    Subject: [RC] trailer loading

    Sherie taylor@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
    I need trailer loading suggestions.   I have a 6 year old mare that will get her front feet in the trailer, then rush back out.  Sometimes she'll get all the way in, then rush back out.  She doesn't act terrified of the trailer.  I've tried putting a long rope on her halter and running it out the side of the trailer and back behind her.  That just freaks her out.  I've also tried the John Lyons tap tap tap method and that just makes her pissed off and she turns sideways to avoid the trailer.

    =-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=- Ridecamp is a service of Endurance Net, http://www.endurance.net.