<% appTitle="Ridecamp Archives" %> Ridecamp: Re: [RC] Apologies to everyone at The Norco Ride
Ridecamp@Endurance.Net

Current to Wed Jul 23 17:34:23 GMT 2003
  • - Rebecca Rohwer
  • - Cheryl Newbanks

    Re: [RC] Apologies to everyone at The Norco Ride - Howard Bramhall

    There is an art to not getting lost.  It's taken me almost 4 years to learn the trick and I thought I'd share it with those of you new to the sport who might be making the same mistakes I used to make (frankly I'm still quite capable of repeating them).  Michael Maul and his AERC ride result postings are what I've been using, as far as data obtained from the computer.  In addition, me repeating the same rides over and over again, also, helps.  It's simple, but so am I, and if it works for me, it quite possibly might work for you too.

    First thing is to plan your ride in advance.  This is something I never did before, but, I've learned a little over the years, and planning, on the computer is actually something even I can do.  First of all figure out the pace you're going to do.  Are you going to ride up front, middle, or in the rear?  The rear has it's advantages, but, if you go to a small ride (low attendance) this can create problems, for you may not have anyone to follow on that third or last loop, and this is key to my ride, as far as not getting lost or missing a turn.  Plus, it's been my experience that those bringing in the rear sometimes fall into the category of folks who spend most of their ride out there talking and playing around with their buddies and are quite oblivious to what is happening out on the trail itself.  These folks have a tendency (especially when the two riders happen to both be female) of missing a clear and distinct turn signal, because they're just gabbing away, and probably wouldn't even notice a mountain lion looking down upon them as they just jibber-jabber constantly along the endurance highway.  What ever you do, don't follow these wimmen!

    Now, keep in mind, I do attend rides where, no matter how well the Ride Manager marks them, there always seem to be certain whackos who live in a tent down by the river, and they love to take markers down, or turn them the wrong way.  Not funny, to me, and if I ever catch one of them doing it I know I'll do my best to scare the crap out of them so bad they will see the error of their ways.  I'd love to show them that a pissed off rider on a really scary looking horse can do incredible damage to a human who's time for reckoning has come.
    Anyway, I'm off track, sorry......

    Study the ride, especially the results from the previous year.   Look at the times, and the riders.  Study the riders and see if they continue to do the ride you're attending over and over again.  And, then, find the rider, who continually goes to this ride, who has a ride time that will be similar to yours.  Make it your quest to know this person, rank them, and have ten names of riders, in order of preference as to whom you're going to follow, and plan on following them.

    I love to follow folks.  I never tell them this is what I'm doing.  You don't ask permission. You really don't have to and it's better if you keep this to yourself.  You don't tell them you're planning on riding with them.  Most true endurance riders I know don't ride with others or even plan to.  It's just not the nature of the game; the ride is a solitary sport in most parts, the team is you and your horse only.  But, have your list, and see how it goes.

    My theory is that the person you are following is more than likely not going to get lost.  And, it's less wear and tear on your horse if they are in the lead.  If it doesn't work out with them, for whatever reason, then go to the second person on your list.  And, on and on it goes.  Knowing the riders really helps, and, fortunately, or unfortunately, I seem to know just about everyone at most of the rides I attend.  And, folks I don't even know seem to know me.  Gee, thanks Ridecamp, my days of hiding out in the woods as an unknown are long since over.  If I ever move to another part of the country, I'm changing my name, that's for sure.

    For those who like to plan, you may enjoy doing this.  For those who don't; believe me, I'm really one of you, but, in this particular arena, I've made an exception.  Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't.  I just hate getting lost in a 50 and adding extra miles to a distance that is already too far is the last thing I want to do.

    cya,
    Howard (on and on we go; I feel better if I'm following someone who seems to know the way, for I haven't a clue)