<% appTitle="Ridecamp Archives" %> Ridecamp: RE: [RC] Tennis shoes no boots??
Ridecamp@Endurance.Net

Current to Wed Jul 23 17:33:49 GMT 2003
  • - Jessica Spoone
  • - Paddi

    RE: [RC] Tennis shoes no boots?? - Mike Sofen

    I believe I hold the record for the most shoes ever purchased with the
    intent of being used for riding.  From my roping days, I used to wear Ariats
    and they are a great shoe.  But way too hot and restricting for longer rides
    (for me), especially since, unlike many women I know, I have excellent
    circulation in my feet, i.e., they stay warm even when it's cold out.

    But then I started into endurance and the Ariats weren't working for me, so
    I switched to running shoes, and the hunt for the perfect shoe began.
    HOWEVER, I always ride with safety cages on the stirrups.  Your concern
    about being stuck and dragged is well-founded, so I wouldn't minimize that.
    But with safety cages, it's very difficult to get your foot stuck.

    I first tried lightweight running shoes...not enough support under the ball
    of the foot.  Then I tried mid-ankle lightweight hiking books and they were
    ok but really too much shoe.  Then I tried what's called Cross-Training
    shoes, a nominal blend of a running shoe and an ultra-lightweight hiking
    shoe, and knew I was on the right track.  I do not need ankle support and
    this may be an issue for some riders.

    The real problem - find a shoe with the right lug pattern (it can't be too
    bold or knobby or your foot won't slide out of the stirrup easily, but you
    need a certain amount of lugs for traction while walking or running), the
    right toe and heel padding (if you get off and run, on downhills you need
    toe padding and on everything you need heel padding), the right stiffness
    under the ball of the foot, the right arch height AND the right width for my
    wide feet.  And just when I find the perfect shoe, they discontinue it, so I
    usually buy two pairs at a time (they do wear out faster than you might
    imagine).

    I've had great luck for my foot shape with the New Balance cross-trainers
    (but they've just revised their entire line so now who knows?).  But I'm a
    fan of the REI Outlet center (at rei.com) where they blow out shoes like
    this all the time, so I've bought a dozen or so "experimental" models, most
    of which didn't work out.  REI allows you to return everything, so this is a
    decent way to try out many different shoes and if you find one that fits,
    you've got a great price.  In this way, I've tried cross-trainers from
    Salomon (great shoes, not quite wide enough), Nike (so-so), North Face (bad
    fit), and others.

    Is that enough info for you?  :-)

    Mike Sofen
    Santa Cruz (where foot comfort is more important than...surfing?)