<% appTitle="Ridecamp Archives" %> Ridecamp: RE: [RC] "I can't see how bareback would help"
Ridecamp@Endurance.Net

Current to Wed Jul 23 17:32:30 GMT 2003
  • - Stephanie_D_Adair
  • - Annie George

    RE: [RC] "I can't see how bareback would help" - Steph Teeter

    Another trick for learning how to feel balance, and ride straight is to ride
    with only one stirrup - try each one. I was totally blown away by how much I
    depended more on one leg than the other (probably due to knee injury
    several years ago). I could ride easily with just my left foot in the
    stirrup, but had an awful time with just my right. Since then I'm much more
    aware of weight distribution, and try to use both legs evenly.

    Steph

    p.s. at the same clinic we did bareback stuff too - walk/trot/canter - but
    used a surcingle for grip. This was also an eye opener to me - helped me
    figure out where the center of balance was. I tend to lean too far forward,
    this helped me find a better center of gravity.