<% appTitle="Ridecamp Archives" %> Ridecamp: Re: [RC] Equine Clinicians Compete
Ridecamp@Endurance.Net

Current to Wed Jul 23 17:31:50 GMT 2003
  • - Susan Young Casey
  • - Ridecamp Guest

    Re: [RC] Equine Clinicians Compete - Sullivan

    ----- Original Message -----
    From: "Linda" <Elite@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
      If  I had to choose just one, it would have to be Parelli, because
    > of the creativity you use in training (no bridle, laying down, playing
    with
    > the ball, etc ) and because of his training levels and testing.

    Linda, I have a few more comments on this.  One, is that I am opposed to the
    basic Parelli idea that you "play these 7 games."  This is very misleading,
    especially to novice horse owners.  In my opinion, they would be better off
    from the beginning learning the concept that they better step in pretty
    quick and be alpha horse in this relationship, or they are going to get
    hurt.  I am very attatched to my horses, give them treats and affection and
    lots of praise for doing the right thing, but I do NOT play games with them.

    > Not one of these clinicians would tell you your horse is started/broke
    after
    > 2 days.  What they are showing you is the steps for training, you have to
    go
    > home and start back at step one and work through them.  They have just
    > gotten you through the steps under supervision and in a safe enviroment.
    > And just because you buy a few video tapes doesn't mean the horse is
    > trained, it takes a lot of hard work.  The people that work at it (read,
    go
    > to clinics, improve their "feel" with horses) are successful, the people
    > that don't think it is a gimick.

    Yes, and that is exactly what they want you to do.....spend the $ buying all
    the videos and attending all the levels of the clinics.....I will take my $
    instead and go horse camping, ride for 3 days, get my horses used to the
    world and a whole lot of tired.  THAT is how I have improved every horse I
    have had; hours in the saddle.

    >     The post that says... "have tried out Parelli trained horses and found
    > them to lack respect and dangerous behaviours"  "found lack of safety,
    > kneeling in front to bridle"   Again... just because someone bought the
    > tapes and wants to say that the horse for sale "has Parelli training"
    > doesn't work.   This person obviously didn't put in the time and effort or
    > didn't do it correctly.   As far as the safety issue...  this is all what
    > you are comfortable with.  I personally like to "think outside the box" as
    > far as what my horse and I can do.

    We may disagree here.  I am a huge fan of galloping up hills and on the
    beach and having fun.  This may be
    "outside the box" from what many horse people feel comfortable doing.  But,
    I am always aware of the risks and dangers.
    It is easy to forget the strength and power a horse has.  I was reminded of
    this at the last camping trip when I got lazy and decided to tie my horses
    to the trailer for the night instead of setting up corrals.  My old
    campaigner mare managed to stretch her neck and lead rope around the back
    corner of the trailer (despite my checking all ropes), and ran the trailer
    latch bar to the back gate through her halter ring!  She had her head pinned
    to the back gate, fighting hard, and I looked at the situation; and how easy
    it would be for me to get my fingers ripped off, and ran for scissors to cut
    the halter off.  She then manged to BEND this solid steel bar at a 45 degree
    angle and get herself loose.  It took the welding shop to straighten it
    back.  Horses are strong and powerful enough to main and kill you, if you do
    stupid things.

    As far as Parelli, I stick to my opinions, based on 10 years of observations
    and emails to me from others who dislike his methods.  Over the last year,
    Ride Magazine has published his articles and photos.  I find the advice and
    language hokey and confusing, and the photos are a study in stupidity.  One
    shows a person riding his horse right up to the back of a trailer, with top
    of trailer at neck level.....one shows a person driving a horse with reins
    in teeth, right on their butt...and one ad shows a CHILD standing on a pony,
    with no bridle or saddle, to demonstrate how this formerly bad-actor pony
    was reformed.  The child has no helmet, and it enrages me to see a kid put
    in a VERY unsafe position to promote these
    methods.

    I am honestly not opposed to the idea of teaching horses with a kinder and
    progressive method.  I also believe, getting back to the original post, that
    these clinicians have absolutely no business riding two year olds...I lose a
    lot of respect for them for doing that....what we need is a return to
    "connon-sense horsemanship".  Even the Gai Wan Ne (sp?) Pony boy, at a
    clinic (and he is another "Natural Horsemanship type guy), said, and I
    quote, " the FIRST thing you do, is put on a helmet!"

    Karen