<% appTitle="Ridecamp Archives" %> Ridecamp: Re: [RC] [RC] Equine Clinicians Compete
Ridecamp@Endurance.Net

Current to Wed Jul 23 17:31:51 GMT 2003
  • - Cindi Hein
  • - Truman Prevatt

    Re: [RC] [RC] Equine Clinicians Compete - Sullivan

    ----- Original Message -----
    From: "Lif Strand" <lif@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>

    > >I woulde LOVE to talk to someone who has taken one one of these
    > >wonder-horses after one of these 'miracle' sessions!
    >
    > Me too!  Anyone on this list have a horse that went through a "miracle"
    > session?  Report, please!

    Well, I'm sticking my neck out here, but honestly, have had very bad
    experiences with once buying, and also trying out several horses that were
    "Parelli trained".  To a horse, they lacked basic respect for people, and
    exhibited some very dangerous behaviours.  I don't know if it is becuase of
    his methods, or the type of people who actually pay for his clinics.
    Every one of these horses seemed like they would benefit from a good month
    or so steady, hard ranch work!

    I find the tapes confusing, and the lack of safety apalling. I am not
    impressed with hordes of people riding around on their horses helmetless,
    bridleless, standing on their backs, kneeling in front to bridle, etc....I
    could go on, but better not say more publicaly, except that this observation
    of Parelli and his methods goes back to 1990!!

    I find John Lyons much easier to understand, and did see him (at the horse
    expo) take a huge, wild 4 year old basically untouched warmblood mare, and
    go from scared to riding in little more than an hour.  He explained his
    methods every step of the way, and was always gentle and consistent with the
    mare.  I WAS impressed, but in no way consider that mare "trained" after the
    sesson.  Frankly, I can't believe how many babies are left alone until
    training time.  My 6 month old (now 3) was worked with almost daily.  Feet
    picked up, trailered several tmes a week on small trail rides, saddled with
    light saddle, taught to yeild to pressure, etc.

    Karen