<% appTitle="Ridecamp Archives" %> Ridecamp: Re: [RC] Spayed mares
Ridecamp@Endurance.Net

Current to Wed Jul 23 17:31:53 GMT 2003
  • - Ridecamp Guest
  • - Cindy Collins

    Re: [RC] Spayed mares - Lori Bertolucci

    Oddly enough, my mare is usually better when she is in heat, until this last time. I, too, could tell she was in heat by her behavior when being ridden. She was much happier and very willing. Until this last heat. She became attached to the horse next to her (that has been there for 3 years) and when I moved her did the same with the new horse next to her. She would sqeal and carry on like never before. This lasted for some time. Yesterday she finally showed signs of being her old self. It was suggested, at first, that maybe she had cyctic overies. What I want to know is, if a mare does have cyctic overies, can they be bred? and will they carry to term? This was debated and we never came to a conclusion. And has anyone else seen their mares to be different this year than any other? My mare also bagged up and produced milk this spring. No, she isn't bred. I could have put an orphane foal on her at that time.
    Lori B.

    ---- Original Message -----
    From: Vickie Smith
    Sent: Wednesday, August 07, 2002 8:04 AM
    To: Ridecamp@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
    Subject: Re: [RC] Spayed mares

    Hello folks...  I ride ONLY mares.  They seem to get along better with me.  Anyway, before someone gets "scared off" by the idea of competing a mare...  I have 3 Nat'l CH mares in ctr and one who qual'd for NBHA Ch.  Mares are the best for me to ride!  Bringing along a mare who's a little cantankerous now...  interestingly, she's better in full blown heat!  We always make great progress in the ring or have a super day on trail when she's ready to breed!  That's how I can tell if she's in heat without looking...

    Best,
    Vickie