<% appTitle="Ridecamp Archives" %> Ridecamp: RE: [RC] Riding Alone
Ridecamp@Endurance.Net

Current to Wed Jul 23 17:31:55 GMT 2003
  • - Dana B.
  • - Laurie Durgin

    RE: [RC] Riding Alone - Maryanne Stroud Gabbani

    Oh  my. I'm reading this and feeling awfully happy to be living in the Middle East. I ride alone lots of times, often at night in the summer, through the countryside and villages in the area around the Sakkara pyramids. I take my cell phone, but usually try to ignore it because more than likely it's some stupid business call. The few times that I've had any problems with my horses (like one deciding to back into an irrigation canal....Yuck!) I've had farmers and their children running to help me. I've never been touched, harrassed or insulted despite the fact that I'm probably the only woman (or man) in the Cairo area to ride alone in the countryside.  If I'm riding alone, I prefer to ride in the countryside rather than the desert because I know that there will always be help if I need it, even without a cell phone. In the desert, you have to hope you fall off on a rise, so that the signal for your phone works. <G> Makes me appreciate being able to go out without any sort of "protection" at all other than a polite "salaam aleikum", and if I stopped every time I was invited to eat, I'd be too fat to get back on my poor horse.

    Maryanne Stroud Gabbani
    Cairo, Egypt
    maryanne@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
    www.ratbusters.net

    -----Original Message-----
    From: ridecamp-owner@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx [mailto:ridecamp-owner@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx]On Behalf Of Laurie Durgin
    Sent: August 6, 2002 9:39 PM
    To: Howard Bramhall; ridecamp@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
    Subject: Re: [RC] Riding Alone

    I have to ride along too. I carry a fanny pack on me with my epipen, lightstick, shoelaces, poncho duct tape around a pencil, bandanna, chapstick, a multiuse tool, a folding hoofpick, and a whistle and mace.l The whistle helps for those  who go out "shootin" where I ride and during hunting season. I have used it 3 times, if there are shots in my  area or if I have to go that way coming home. I did use it without "training" Rascal to it, but he was ok, just stiffened up some.I also always carry a water bottle, but it is on horse, although I just got one that fits a resivoir in a fanny pack , it works fine, just have to make sure you roll it up right. I used to carry a cell phone, but must have sat on it once just right as it dialed my husbands friend and he listened to our trailride talk for 20 min,. Luckily I wasn't saying anything to be ashamed of.I did get the phone co. to delete it. But I don't use a phone now as I'm cost cutting, (the one income 4 kids , 5 horses thing)I am planning on getting my ham license though. But I read that article on how to use your horse to protect yourself and I never let anyone approach, I pass a lot of 4 wheelers who are usually polite enough to turn thier vehicles off, and hunters , shooters, and some teenage partiers, but I figure I can ride into the woods in areas they can't, and as for the few vehicles, I can go where they can't.But no one can really protect you from a wacko with a gun who wants to kill something, except God.So I say my prayer, tell the kids or leave a note roughly where I am going  and about how long. But I always tell them to add an  hour because I might be exploring a trail or Rascal needs some "schoolin". I also always ride with a helmet and shoes I can walk in ,If I have too. And I try to leave hoofprints somewhere.
    Laurie and Rascal