<% appTitle="Ridecamp Archives" %> Ridecamp: Re: [RC] Riding Alone
Ridecamp@Endurance.Net

Current to Wed Jul 23 17:31:55 GMT 2003
  • - Larry Miller
  • - Maggie Mieske

    Re: [RC] Riding Alone - Howard Bramhall

    A .38 and a hunting knife?  What do you do with them while skinny dipping with your horse?  I'm starting to think that if you didn't go skinny dipping, you might not attract the two legged species which has you thinking you need that knife and gun.  haha.

    It is never safe for a male to approach an unknown female in any kind of manner, no matter how many fantasies or Penthouse experiences this man might have had.  Wimmen are like horses; they shy easily, and can do you some serious damage when cornered with no place to run.

    I plan on my teenager daughter carrying a can of mace, brass knuckles, a surgical knife (they fit just fine into a small handbag) and a gun if I can find a way to get around that age restriction thing for permits.  I guess I'm the only one watching the news lately.  There are some serious demented two legged beasts out there on the trails, and I do applaud Amber for going out there prepared.  It's an old cliché, I know, but it still rings true.  "No one ever raped a 38."

    cya,
    Howard

    ----- Original Message -----
    From: amber applegate
    Sent: Sunday, August 04, 2002 10:31 PM
    To: Barbara McCrary; Stephanie Caldwell
    Cc: RIDECAMP
    Subject: Re: [RC] Riding Alone

    I always carry a .38 special, and just found my hunting knife that I had a strap made to go around my calf. After seeing that fellow that saved his life in Washington after he slit the throat of a cougar that attacked him, I will be wearing my knife again.

    This is not only for the four legged predators, but out here there are lots of "two legged" predators as well. I took my horse riding last week to an old homestead where the first fires of the season started. I wanted to see the damage, plus there is a huge pond that I take the horses swimming in. Both horse and rider go sans clothes. There are two locked gates to go through, so I put in a gate and cut a trail from the back of my place. this isn't a place that has traffic.

    However trundling towards the pond, here comes a forest service truck with a couple of fellows and that ruined my skinny dipping, but I still intended to go for a swim with horse and two dogs. Getting to the pond, there were some contract guys there to finish mopping up parked right at the pond.  I felt very volunerable, I did not take my gun nor my knife.

    I went swimming me in clothes, horse naked, and after watching the "fun" they drove to my side of the pond and offered me a drink of water. I accepted and then the one guy comes walking towards me and sets the bottle of water under a tree and keeps walking towards me and then says, "Well, what is your name?" I am thinking fast now and said amber APPLEGATE. Well in this country, Applegate draws your attention real fast as it is home to the Applegate pioneer family. I went on to say how I was related and EVERYONE around here knows me, and that it just happened that I went to their bosses home in Grants Pass looking at a horse that his wife had for sale so I immediately threw that in that I knew his boss and ANGIE and Gee, I was just over at their place visiting ANGIE. Immediately, the mood seemed to change, but it was rather disturbing for a second. And maybe it was all in my mind. But I feel much safer with a pistol and my hunting knife.

    Leaving notes, and maps if you have them are the best bet also, if like my husband that does  not ride so doesn't know the trails, I let him know the names of riding buddies that know the trails and how I ride so he can call them in case something happens and they can mount up and would know where to look for me. Often places that vehicles cannot get into.  Also, if you carry a gun, take enough ammo that if something does happen, you can fire off some shots, but save them for later when you think you know you are being looked for. Water and Balance bars or the equivelent are always packed too.  I am not into eating moss off the trees, or rooting for truffles. First aid kit too. horse and rider.
    amber