<% appTitle="Ridecamp Archives" %> Ridecamp: Re: [RC] Rabid Bats
Ridecamp@Endurance.Net

Current to Wed Jul 23 17:30:56 GMT 2003
  • - Sundaez
  • - Lynn Kinsky

    Re: [RC] Rabid Bats - Heidi Smith

    Title: Re: [RC] Rabid Bats
    While it is true that bats "contract" rabies rather than "carry" it (just like dogs, cats, skunks, foxes, and other mammals), a bite from a rabid bat can pass on rabies, nonetheless.  You're right that bats often get a bad rap, but it is still wise not to handle them, just as it is wise not to handle stray dogs or cats with unknown vaccination histories.  A little common sense is in order--especially do not handle animals (including bats) that are acting strangely.  Bats flying around at night "doing their thing" catching bugs, etc. are likely not to be a threat, whereas bats out in the daytime may well be ill.

    Heidi

    ----- Original Message -----
    Sent: Monday, July 22, 2002 8:21 AM
    Subject: Re: [RC] Rabid Bats

    Hey all, please forgive me if I get on a soap box for a minute, especially concerning a non-horse related topic. . .

    I really hate to see negative publicity about bats -- one of the world's most beneficial and most misunderstood/feared animals.

    As someone on here mentioned, bats get a bad rap because they seem to die and be found more than other animals.  The reason that bats get such a bad rap is because when a bat is sick, it falls to the ground.  When a bat falls to the ground, some idiotic person (usually well-meaning) messes with it and ends up getting bitten.

    Bats DO NOT CARRY rabies. . . they CONTRACT it, just like humans.  They get sick, they die, and if left alone, it ends there.

    So please, please, please continue supporting and preserving bat populations, and consider yourself fortunate to have them around.

    For more information about bats and rabies you can check out basicallybats.com.

    Beth Bennett
    Endurance Rider/Caver/Retired Bat Mom

    The basicallybats link doesn't seem to work, but there's lots of good information at:

     http://www.batconservation.org/content/batsandhumans/batsandhumans.htm

    Where bats are, mosquitos aren't (I spent a week camping next to our swampy local river this spring and didn't even hear a buzz -- but saw lots of bats flying at dusk) -- and with West Nile Virus on the move, anything that will take out mosquitos without me or my horses needing to get doused with pesticides or repellants is A Good Thing.