Re: RC: R-Martingales in the olympics

> Ray O. rno2m@virginia.edu
>   Half the horses in the three day eventing at Sydney had 'em,and a few
> were in hackamores,and other rigs.So much for the snaffle-only purists,HA
> HA! Folks,I don't use a R-M,I just wanted to know what their effect was.If
> you haven't experimented with am lot of bits,you simply haven't yet done
> all your homework.

Okay, so sorry for being a couple days behind here, folks.

Actually, nobody asked whether a running martingagle was a useful tool
for Olympic level cross-country work.  If you watch those eventers,
though you will see that nobody does their dressage warmups in a running
martingale (they would not compete in one, since it's against the
rules).  You will also see that many of those martingales don't show up
in the show jumping phase.

What was asked was whether a RM would make a horse break at the poll
rather than at the withers.  I'll say again, nope.  Is it a useful
*training tool* in the right hands?  Yes, under a few circumstances.  Is
it a useful *riding device* for a horse with behavioral issues?  Nope.
There are way better options.

-Abby B

--
* * *