Re: RC: spooky mare

guest@endurance.net wrote:

> patti gene@dreamsoft.com

> Since the beginning of Jan. When we go on the trail (three
> times a week) she has done the kind of spooking that could eventually
> unseat me, and she is doing it ALL THE WAY DOWN THE TRAIL!!! What's up
> with that??? She has never been the type of horse that I felt was unsafe
> and always felt she was very surefooted.

> I am feeling so timid on her I can't let her go faster than a fast walk.
> If someone could put some exper input in I would would like to see what
> you have to say.

Patti -

I think you just have a young horse who's getting fit and strong and
having a blast.  It sounds to me as though she could benefit from some
"excitement" training as well.

First, as she's traveling along looking for something to spook at, I
would do some lateral suppling.  Keep riding the horse.  Don't be afraid
to put your legs on her just because she's full of herself, you have to
ride her into your aids so that she can't just back out of them and
spook when the mood strikes.  Make sure that she's going along (at
whatever speed) with *her mind on what you're doing*, not just looking
around for an excuse to play springbok.

There are a lot of things you can do with a young horse to remind them
that you exist, and this is definitely the time to do it.  Don't wait
until she's become such a nut on the trail that a) you are afraid to
ride her at all or b) other people are afraid to ride with you!

Good luck
-Abby B

--
* * *