<% appTitle="Ridecamp Archives" %> Ridecamp: [RC] Fw: West Nile Vaccine
Ridecamp@Endurance.Net

Current to Wed Jul 23 17:28:53 GMT 2003
  • - Roger Rittenhouse
  • - Sullivan

    [RC] Fw: West Nile Vaccine - Don Pollock

    Title: WHAS11.com | Louisville, KY | Email a Friend
    This came from a news story from one of our local TV stations.  It proves the point that Dr. Kellon made  with me when I asked her about the potency of the West Nile vaccine.

    ----- Original Message -----
    From: don
    Sent: Friday, June 28, 2002 4:30 PM
    Subject: don has something for you...

    don [ don.pollock@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx ] has sent you a news article.

    Story: http://www.whas11.com/news/local/WHAS11_LOCALNEWS_Ky_thorse_dies_West_Nile.2a5518ad.html

    Kentucky thoroughbred latest victim of West Nile virus

    06/28/2002

    A thoroughbred horse is the latest victim of the West Nile Virus in Kentucky.

    Officials say the Fayette County yearling colt, which died June 4, had been vaccinated for the disease twice this spring.

    The vaccine that was given to the colt is made by Fort Dodge Animal Health and had been widely used in the thoroughbred industry.

    According to Dr. Don Notter, state veterinarian, the manufacturer?s guidelines were followed in administering the vaccine to the colt. Some cases that have been reported in Florida show the vaccine doesn?t provide 100 percent protection for all horses, Notter said.

    Earlier this week, dead birds found in Oldham and Metcalfe counties also tested positive for the disease.

    Mosquitoes that feed on infected birds transmit the virus. Only a small percentage of people who contract West Nile die from the disease.

    Last year, the virus killed six horses and dozens of birds in Kentucky. No human cases have been reported.

    Web story produced by Lisa Durham