<% appTitle="Ridecamp Archives" %> Ridecamp: Re: [RC] Skito Pads
Ridecamp@Endurance.Net

Current to Wed Jul 23 17:28:53 GMT 2003
  • - Don Pollock
  • - Brenda L. Kossowan

    Re: [RC] Skito Pads - Sullivan

    I feel the skito pad is an improvement over the toklat pad for several reasons.  The skito pad is shaped to the back, the tolkat pad just folds straight across.  When both pads have shock foam, the toklat has an extra top layer of fleece that I feel is unecessary as you already have fleece next to the horse, and the bottom of the saddle.

    What you want is a skito Sport Saddle pad, forget the stuff about inter and outer pad.  I have also found that the woven tapestry southwestern prints wear the best and fade the littlest.  I have some pads that are 8 years old and still going strong.

    If  your horse has high withers or narrows, high spine, they make a "top shim", that puts the saddle up a bit off the spine.  This works well with my high-withered Anglo arab.
    Karen
    ----- Original Message -----
    Sent: Friday, June 28, 2002 6:18 PM
    Subject: [RC] Skito Pads

    Hi everyone,

    I'm pretty new to endurance  ( 3 LD rides and one 50 mile ride)and I have a question about Skito Pads.  I currently ride my horse in a Sports Saddle.  I switched from a Wintec All Purpose and my horse and I love the  new saddle!  I use a Woolback saddle pad and occasionally my saddle will still slip a bit.  Actually it doesn't seem to be the saddle that slips, it's the pad.  I now put the saddle so I have about 2 inches pad peeking out from under the pommel and that helps with the sliding.  I have my girth on pretty tight, so I don't think that's an issue.  The slipping isn't really bad, I ride in the mountains in Virginia without a crupper and not a problem there.  I read some posts about people riding in Sports Saddles with Skito Pads and loving it.  I looked through a Trails End catalog and was a bit dazed by the choices between  Outer Cover and Inner Cover.  I would really appreciate any inputs on the Skito subject.

    Thanks,

    Birgit