<% appTitle="Ridecamp Archives" %> Ridecamp: Re: [RC] arabs
Ridecamp@Endurance.Net

Current to Wed Jul 23 17:28:54 GMT 2003
  • - Sullivan
  • - Jerry & Susan Milam

    Re: [RC] arabs - Barbara McCrary

    I can't help but think that it's not Arabs in general, but individuals in particular that deserve bashing from time to time.  We now have nothing but Arabs, and I find them to be intelligent and generally dependable.  I've ridden individuals that were a menace to the life and welfare of the human being.  But the really reliable ones I wouldn't trade for all the money in the world, and we've had at least a couple of those in our lifetime.  Those really dependable ones had spirit, but not hysteria, and were smart enough to wait for us to get them out of trouble (i.e. barbed wire) rather than fight until they were irreparably injured.  They were forward on the trail, surefooted, always interested in life, and would do anything I asked of them.  One time, mounted on my favorite horse of all time (1/2 Arab, 1/2 QH), I asked him to try moving a Shorthorn bull that just wasn't about to go anywhere, much less where I wanted him to go.  So I asked the horse to body slam the bull.....he just jumped forward and bumped the bull in the ribs with his chest, obviously not too hard but enough to take the bull unaware.  Finally, the bull got tired of this gutsy little horse and moved, in the direction I wanted him to go.  If I could bring that horse back as an 8 year old, I would do so in a heartbeat.

    Barbara McCrary

    ----- Original Message -----
    Sent: Friday, June 28, 2002 6:58 AM
    Subject: Re: [RC] arabs

    I have noticed the same thing- LOTS of Arab-bashing going on.  I am a newbie and I I learned to ride on Arabs so it never occured to me at first that they are any different than other breeds.  I now own a six year old Arab and I kinda like having to be on my toes all the time.  I am never bored riding him, that's for sure!  He never fails to amaze me and I am totally in awe of his intelligence and strength.  So it was really strange to me to hear all these negative things when people talk about Arabs.  I guess each breed is different and therefore different riders prefer different traits.  To each his own, right...  Sometimes I almost feel like I have to defend myself for riding an Arab.  Often I hear, well, you don't HAVE to ride an Arab to do well in endurance...  I got my little guy and then discovered endurance and I just finished my first 50 (it happened to be the Old Dominion 50)on him and he did GREAT, and I was so proud of him!
    So, I guess my point is that you don't have to have an Arabian, but they SURE are fun!

    Birgit