<% appTitle="Ridecamp Archives" %> Ridecamp: Re: [RC] arabs
Ridecamp@Endurance.Net

Current to Wed Jul 23 17:28:54 GMT 2003
  • - Jerry & Susan Milam
  • - Lisa Redmond

    Re: [RC] arabs - Chuck and Birgit

    I have noticed the same thing- LOTS of Arab-bashing going on.  I am a newbie and I I learned to ride on Arabs so it never occured to me at first that they are any different than other breeds.  I now own a six year old Arab and I kinda like having to be on my toes all the time.  I am never bored riding him, that's for sure!  He never fails to amaze me and I am totally in awe of his intelligence and strength.  So it was really strange to me to hear all these negative things when people talk about Arabs.  I guess each breed is different and therefore different riders prefer different traits.  To each his own, right...  Sometimes I almost feel like I have to defend myself for riding an Arab.  Often I hear, well, you don't HAVE to ride an Arab to do well in endurance...  I got my little guy and then discovered endurance and I just finished my first 50 (it happened to be the Old Dominion 50)on him and he did GREAT, and I was so proud of him!
    So, I guess my point is that you don't have to have an Arabian, but they SURE are fun!

    Birgit

    ----- Original Message -----
    From: Karla Watson
    Sent: Thursday, June 27, 2002 1:50 PM
    To: ridecamp@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
    Subject: [RC] arabs

    When people talk about some of  the personality traits of Arabs they always talk about them as being negative traits. I guess I'm one to *prefer* their hotness, attitude and ultra-sensitivity and all that rolled into a beautiful package! They are just a blast to ride!

    My background growing up was hunter/jumpers-all thoroughbreds. Now that I ride an arab I really appreciate its smaller/compact size. Its easier to saddle, bridle, care for. I LIKE the fact they don't get tired and have this BIG attitude. I always feel like I have the power of a warmblood in this little compact horse. Kind of like the little dog that thinks its a BIG dog!! You just have to relax and enjoy the ride cause it will be an interesting one.....!!

    Karla