<% appTitle="Ridecamp Archives" %> Ridecamp: RE: [RC] Filler for pads
Ridecamp@Endurance.Net

Current to Wed Jul 23 17:28:21 GMT 2003
  • - DVeritas
  • - Roby, Diane

    RE: [RC] Filler for pads - Steph Teeter

    The Vettec products - Equipak, EquiBuild, etc - sort of work without pads.
    Seems to depend a lot on the shape of the horse's feet - a concave foot
    holds the stuff better than a flat, shallow foot. Plus it stays in better in
    dry weather than in wet weather. There are a couple non-pad options which I
    haven't personally tried that you can use to hold the packing in - Vettec
    makes a mesh that you can use, and I've also heard that gutter guard (the
    plastic mesh that you use to keep debris out of house gutters) suposedly
    works as well. I've used EquiBuild without pads a few times - had good
    success in summer/fall (dry) - but couldn't keep it in my shallow-footed
    horse during the winter, even with very very careful hoof preparation and
    application.

    If you use the stuff under pads though, you won't get any mud built up
    underneath the pad. It forms a very good, solid packing. I've never had any
    problem with getting stuff under the pad.

    Steph