<% appTitle="Ridecamp Archives" %> Ridecamp: [RC] Fw: Prevent Additional Regulation of California Rodeos
Ridecamp@Endurance.Net

Current to Wed Jul 23 17:27:25 GMT 2003
  • - SandyDSA

    [RC] Fw: Prevent Additional Regulation of California Rodeos - Veronica

    Help!!!!  since you all are horse people thought maybe you would like to
    support the AQHA  in this matter.  Please do I have participated in keeping
    a good positive word on endurance please help us .

    This is something that I received from Aqha .

    Rolling Rock Q Horses

    ----- Original Message -----
    From: <AQHAMKTG@xxxxxxxx>
    To: "American Quarter Horse Association" <aqhamktg1@xxxxxxxx>
    Sent: Wednesday, June 12, 2002 9:29 AM
    Subject: Prevent Additional Regulation of California Rodeos

    > SB 1851 HAS PASSED THE SENATE WITH AMENDMENTS AND HAS NOW BEEN ASSIGNED TO
    TWO HOUSE COMMITTEES

    > IMMEDIATE ACTION NEEDED; THIS BILL COULD BE HEARD BY JUNE 17TH
    >
    > Senate Bill 1851 has passed the Senate Business and Professions committee
    after some favorable amendments and now has passed the Senate by a vote of
    22 - 14.  WE NEED TO VIGOROUSLY OPPOSE THIS BILL IN THE ASSEMBLY AND TRY TO
    KILL THIS BILL.

    > The bill now requires California Rodeos to:
    > 1.  Register with local animal control agencies at least 14 days before
    the rodeo.  This registration must include the name and contact info of the
    organizers of the rodeo, the veterinarian for the rodeo, how many animals
    will be participating and the owner of the rodeo livestock.  This
    registration process will be cumbersome and allow so much information that
    many rodeos would not likely make available to be public. It may allow
    animal rights activists a way to gain more information on rodeos in order to
    protest more effectively.

    > 2.  Have a vet on-site at all amateur and professional rodeos. While this
    exempts most youth rodeos, this is another step in the activists wishes to
    regulate rodeo out of business in California. If a community has only one
    vet or it is a busy time and the vet is called away, the rodeo could be shut
    down.

    > We were successful in amending the bill to take out the provision where a
    vet cannot compete in the rodeo as well as the provision where if a vet does
    not report injuries as mandated in SB 1462 in 2000 that they could be
    sanctioned by the State Board of Veterinary Examiners.  Instead this bill
    will require the State Board to write regulations to help implement the
    reporting of injuries.

    > If we allow this bill to pass out of committee without HUGE OPPOSITION,
    the animal rights activists will have won a huge victory and will continue
    to regulate rodeo until they are banned in California.  Every rodeo
    proponent in California should write letters to committee members and their
    assemblyman immediately.

    > Please click on the following link, where you'll be transported to a
    special AQHA public policy Web site where you can find out more about the
    bill and email your California Legislators, stating your opposition to this
    bill.