<% appTitle="Ridecamp Archives" %> Ridecamp: RE: [RC] Wine Country/Gastroguard - treatments
Ridecamp@Endurance.Net

Current to Wed Jul 23 17:26:58 GMT 2003
  • - goearth
  • - Heidi Smith

    RE: [RC] Wine Country/Gastroguard - treatments - Mike Sofen

    I rest my case - logic told me that the factors that were part of the
    "performance horse" definition in the original ulcer studies were too
    endemic to the endurance horse world to not also show some correlation.
    This is a tantalizing peek into this aspect of our sport, although a broader
    census is surely called for.

    I do have some treatment hope, however.  In doing the research surrounding
    the treatment of ulcers, it appeared that there were three products at the
    top of the efficacy list:  Gastrogard (omeprazole), Pepcid (famotadine), and
    Zantac (ranitidine).  Ranitidine has about half the efficacy of famotadine.

    A full 28 day treatment of Gastrogard costs about $900...quite a remarkable
    price for a product that costs peanuts to make.  I spoke with my brother (a
    physician) about getting omeprazole in bulk from his pharmacy and they
    couldn't do it, but get this - famotadine (which is the most effective of
    the H2 blockers) can come as a powder for oral suspension and is available
    in bulk.

    While your prices will certainly vary, his pharmacist just delivered two 25
    gram bottles of the stuff for $60 (note: I do not know if this was wholesale
    or retail).  The dosage is 3-4mg/kg, which for my 850 pound horse works out
    to 1.2-1.5 GRAMS per dose (once a day).  I'm going to use 1.5 grams per dose
    (because I figure he'll spit some out), so that gives me about 33 doses for
    $60.  There's a 100 gram bottle that costs even less per dose.  Famotadine
    works for 24 hours, so you must use it every day for 30 days, dosing at the
    same time every day.

    The tricky part is measuring, and I can't underscore this enough: unless you
    have a gram scale, or the pharmacist gives you something to measure the
    doses with, don't mess with this - you'll either underdose (in which case
    that day's treatment will be nearly worthless) or overdose (which could
    cause unknown side effects, although during research they've overdosed by a
    magnitude - that would be 15 grams for me - with negligible side effects).
    My pharmacist gave me measuring bottle marked for this compound.

    The benefit of this powder for oral suspension is NO GRINDING - it is
    designed to easily dissolve in water, so just place the dose into a 60cc
    syringe, fill with water, shake and squirt.

    Disclaimer: I'm not a vet nor an MD, so please consult a professional before
    using this approach.  I will be starting the regimen in a couple days, and
    will report on the results.  I do know of another horse with an ulcer who
    was successfully treated with Gastrogard and the horse has resumed a very
    successful endurance career - the symptoms of not eating and drinking well,
    lower gut sounds during the ride, not dropping in heart rate as quickly were
    all resolved.

    Mike Sofen