<% appTitle="Ridecamp Archives" %> Ridecamp: Re: [RC] Wine Country/Gastroguard
Ridecamp@Endurance.Net

Current to Wed Jul 23 17:26:58 GMT 2003
  • - Barbara McCrary
  • - kathy . mayeda

    Re: [RC] Wine Country/Gastroguard - Howard Bramhall

    ----- Original Message -----
    From: kathy.mayeda@xxxxxxx
    Sent: Sunday, June 02, 2002 12:23 PM
    To: ridecamp@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
    Subject: [RC] Wine Country/Gastroguard

    This is going to rock the "no drug" AERC rules a bit: way over half the horses scoped at the ride had ulcers...... This is the first time they ever scoped endurance horses and they were still scoping at the time of the awards so I'm not going to quote the percentages that were announced at the meeting. The bad news for me and Beau continued. I had him scoped because I suspected that he may have ulcers by some of the symptoms I noticed from him at rides. He had a ulcer on the gland - 4 on a scale of 6.

    -----

    OMG!  Man, I did not want to hear that one.  Over half?  Well, gee, I guess I know what the topic of Ridecamp is going to be this week.  Hey, Roger, what do you say?  Weren't you expecting less than 5%, at best?

    I would like to know more; like how many horses participated in the test, what the testing involved,  and all that.  I didn't think too many riders would participate in the study since you were supposed not to feed them for 12 hours, which sounds like a crazy thing to do, if you ask me, at an endurance ride.

    More figures, Kathy, please.  I believe I'm not alone when I ask for more details here.  Damn interesting study.  What sport is safe for a horse?  Is anything?

    cya,

    Howard (can you prevent an ulcer from happening before it occurs?)