<% appTitle="Ridecamp Archives" %> Ridecamp: Re: [RC] Mt. Carmel ER story
Ridecamp@Endurance.Net

Current to Wed Jul 23 17:25:20 GMT 2003
  • - goearth
  • - Sandy Bolinger

    Re: [RC] Mt. Carmel ER story - Howard Bramhall

    ----- Original Message -----
    From: Karen
    Sent: Friday, May 17, 2002 10:36 PM
    To: ridecamp@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
    Subject: [RC] Mt. Carmel ER story

    So as I'm lying there in the Emergency Room I'm thinking about just how the @#$$ did I get here.  It wasn't supposed to go this way.  I turned my head to talk to the nurse and told her that if she would please hurry up with the stitches, I could be on my way and possibly get back to ridecamp in time to finish.  Apparently they still had to draw blood and do some tests before they could dope me up and THEN they could do the stitches in my elbow and my face.  They seemed to think something might be broken too (like DUH, you mean cuz this bone is sticking out right here?)  I looked down and noticed she was preparing to draw blood from the top of my right hand and I quickly yanked it out of the way and with an alarmed gasp said "what are you doing?".  She grabbed my hand back and said "I'm going to take blood from your hand", and while grabbing my hand back said "oh no you are not".  She was not amused.  Neither was I......

    ......I did manage to leave there with my sports bra still intact.  I think it may have had something to do with my threatening to kill anybody who tried to take it off.  It was a good thing that I was able to whine because it kept Nurse Ratchet at bay long enough for the pain shots to take effect before they got too carried away with trying to scrub the wounds clean.  I just love how they are in no hurry to take away your pain but then want to flop you around like a glob of dough as soon as you get your shot.

    --------

    For those of you who think only the International riders take endurance seriously, you really need to read Karen's story.  My guess is, there's no exaggeration here what so ever.  You're awesome, Karen, and I know more riders than not who have a desire to finish, to be part of the game, almost as strongly as you do.  When you get out of the hospital, before you get back out there on the trail, please, tell us the whole story of how you ended up where you did.  That is, unless you can't type cause both of your arms are in a cast or sit down on a chair because your butt hurts.  Maybe, your Dad can do the typing for you.  Great story Karen!  Heal quickly.

    cya,

    Howard (I loved the part where they hid your boots)