<% appTitle="Ridecamp Archives" %> Ridecamp: Re: [RC] Clicking noise--Maureen's question about magnesium (long)
Ridecamp@Endurance.Net

Current to Wed Jul 23 17:25:21 GMT 2003
  • - RibbonRidg
  • - Bob Morris

    Re: [RC] Clicking noise--Maureen's question about magnesium (long) - Lisa Redmond

    I forgot to mention something else--potassium levels in forages tend to vary
    pretty widely, and are often high enough to throw off the balance between
    magnesium and potassium.  In fact, this is a problem we deal with in what we
    call transition cows in dairy nutrition--animals that are within 3 weeks of
    calving are now frequently given mineral supplements designed to counteract
    the effects of high potassium levels in forages, so that they start
    mobilizing calcium from their bones in preparation for lactation.
    Otherwise, there is such a large demand for calcium at calving that they
    pull it from muscle tissue and develop milk fever, which is a temporary
    paralysis.

    So much for mineral nutrition being simple, huh?