<% appTitle="Ridecamp Archives" %> Ridecamp: Re: [RC] Clicking noise--Maureen's question about magnesium (long)
Ridecamp@Endurance.Net

Current to Wed Jul 23 17:25:21 GMT 2003
  • - Bob Morris
  • - Mike Sofen

    Re: [RC] Clicking noise--Maureen's question about magnesium (long) - Lisa Redmond

    Maureen--

    It sounds like the mare might have felt off-balance while trotting, and was
    cantering because she felt more stable that way.  One thing I found
    interesting as I was reading through some textbooks to research the problem
    was that what we typically refer to as grass tetany is a cattle problem.
    Grass grows so rapidly in the spring that it can't take up magnesium very
    efficiently, so cattle that aren't supplemented in the fall and winter with
    hi-mag mineral don't have adequate stores of magnesium, and we end up with
    animals that can convulse and die.  On the other hand, research with pigs
    has shown the loss of equilibrium and trembling that Rae's mare was
    exhibiting when a magnesium deficiency was induced.  I think this is one of
    those differences associated with non/ruminant versus ruminant that we
    sometimes see.

    Magnesium plays several roles in the body.  It is extremely important in ATP
    production--the energy currency in the body.  It's also closely associated
    with calcium and phosphorus, and regulates  neuronal irritability. Big
    words, but basically this effects the ability of the muscles to respond to
    nerve impulses.  It is also involved in the maintenance of the central
    nervous system (which might explain the equilibrium angle), heart muscle,
    blood vessels, and bone structure, and calcium regulation.  The tetany is a
    result of the magnesium deficiency throwing off the ion balance in the
    muscles.  Like calcium, sodium, and potassium, magnesium has a positive
    charge on it, so a deficiency of magnesium would cause a shift in the
    overall electrical charge in muscle cells and affect their ability to
    contract properly.

    Marshall Jurgens, the author of one of my favorite feeds texts, defines
    tetany as "a condition where animals have localized, spasmodic muscular
    contractions".  Most of us are familiar with the concept that if we suffer
    from muscle cramps in our legs that potassium helps that problem.  Potassium
    has a single positive charge, and magnesium has a double positive, so a
    deficiency in it can be expected to have an even greater effect on muscle
    spasms.

    I mentioned the potassium angle for a reason--I've mentioned before (and so
    has Susan Garlinghouse) that minerals don't act independently of one
    another.  Excess potassium reduces the body's ability to absorb magnesium,
    which reduces the body's ability to retain potassium, and can lead to a
    potassium deficiency.  This would make the muscle problems more apparent.  I
    know that endurance riders supplement electrolytes frequently, and with good
    reason.  But if the diet is borderline on magnesium balance, this potassium
    in the electrolytes might be just high enough to cause a marginal magnesium
    deficiency.  Rae's horse was fine the next morning, and she did eat normally
    after this episode, so I suspect that she was able to get enough magnesium
    either from her food or from a mineral supplement to restore the balance and
    clear up her problem.

    There is also a close association between magnesium and calcium and
    phosphorus, and prolonged magnesium deficiencies can result in calcium and
    phosphorus deposits in the aorta among other places (there's that blood
    vessel angle again.)  I don't think this is relevant in this case,
    though--the fact that the mare recovered overnight suggests that any
    deficiency was temporary.

    I tend to get carried away sometimes--did this help or confuse you?  =)

    Lisa