Fw: long term injury

----- Original Message -----
From: Merrie
To: Montie Schutz
Sent: Sunday, January 06, 2002 9:02 PM
Subject: Re: long term injury

Thanks for the words of encouragement. That was a very shortened version as I also (in another bucking incident - different horse) shattered an elbow and have had to rehab that too. As if I didn't get it the first time with the shattered ankle ,after this second incident  I have vowed to not deal with horses that are that problematic ever again. Don't get me wrong, all horses given the right situation can buck, but some horses also have nasty attitudes and I thought stupidly with enough patience and preservance I could get a horse over this. It is not that I can't ride a buck , but I don't care how good a rider you are you are going to come off if they buck with their heads between their ankles ( that is a down right mean type of buck). The  other one was where the horse when rearing , bucking and spinning  and acted like it was going to rub me off into the fence and I bailed off and got hung up momentarly in the stirrup.

I was scared to death to ride again , but wanted desperatly to do so. What I did is work with a professional trainer who helped me overcome my fear and I am happy to say it did not take as long as I thought it would. This experience definatly left a lasting healthy fear in me as I am very safety conscience and careful about the horses that we have at our farm . They all MUST have wonderful dispositions first and foremost , because I and my family, including my non-horseman husband ,have to live with them. I would never wish this experience on my worst enemy as it was physically and emotionally so painful. Acutually, I attibute the sucess of my rehab on a foal I purchased one year following my horriable ankle injury. I thought at the time, by the time my ankle is ok the foal will be old enough to be ridden. Taking care of him in itself was rehab for the ankle. I am pleased to say I trained him myself and won  high point champion versality horse and hunter champion this year. Next year he will be 6 years old and I would like to try some 25 milers.  It will be fairly easy to get him in condition. I have to work on me ! I am starting an excerise  program for me ! My horse's name is Sheik's Prophesy and he is a half brother ( same sire) to Savaq. He is the love of my life and has given me the strength and courage to pull through some really awful times with my injuries.

You hang in there and never ever give up !

Merrie Boone
Silver Dream Arabians
MerrieSheik@paonline.com