Halters and a run away horses

This halter discussion made me think of the a fellow
boarder who left a halter on her horse at all times.
Her horse would run when trying to catch her and the
halter gave her something to grab quickly.  I'm
assuming this is a very common reason why people keep
halters on while in the pasture....or maybe people are
just lazy.  Anyway, for the reasons stated in previous
messages about this topic, I am also against leaving a
halter on my horses in the pasture.  I would rather
spend 30min chasing her, instead of leaving a halter
on.  When I got Jayda, my 7y/o A-rab, she would
constantly run from me.  So I would try various
techniques of getting her.....hiding the lead rope and
halter behind my back, having a bucket of feed,
carrots, apples, etc.  Finally I got fed up with
having to "trick" her into getting caught.  I say
trick instead of reward, cause obviously calling it a
reward didn't make things better.  The only way I
figure she's stop running is if I love on her.  With
no rope or halter in hand, I decided to chase her
until she gave in.  She never strayed far from the
herd, so it's not like I ran very far to keep up with
her.  Finally after about 45 minutes she stopped and
let me pet her.  I would rub her nose and stroke her
for a while, then walk away.   A ways out, I would
turn around and pursue her again.  Only took a couple
times of doing this and she got the hint that I am
there to love on her and that she can trust me.  Now I
can carry my halter and lead rope in hand and walk up
to her with very little trouble.  Plus now I don't
need to round up a bucket of feed and fight off the
others while trying to retrieve my girl.

With this other horse on the farm with the halter on
all the time.  The owner has not been out there in
months, so luckily the farm owner got fed up and took
the halter off her.  Lara, myself, and the farm owner
try to love on this other lady's horse.  Just saddens
us that people neglect their horses like this.

Tim and Lara
NC