Re: RC: Fwd: RC: Re: Long Slow Distance

Maryben...

Hmmmm...I assume by your reaction, that this individual is someone you
know well. All I said was that I didn't consider what he did something
to be proud of. That's not exactly "bashing". What would you have said
if what he did turned out badly and his horse was permanently injured?
He had a better chance for "bad" things to happen than "good" things.
What was the old saying? "The Lord looks after damn fools and little
childen"?...or something to that effect. I believe in erring on the side
of the horse and maximize his opportunities to SUCCEED, not fail.

You're right that I don't personally know him.  However, sometimes you
don't have to know someone personally to form an opinion about their
behavior.

In an extreme case, there was an item on CNN this morning about some kid
who killed a bull with a bow and beat a Llama to death with a golf
club.  I know enough about THAT individual from those facts to decide
that I want him nowhere near my barnyard. I don't have to conduct a
personal interview with this kid to determine HIS mindset.

While certainly not in the same class, IMHO, this individual, ASSUMING
the basic facts reported by Kathy were accurate:

1. Set a poor example and contradicted all the good information about
how to prepare a horse for Endurance that has been discussed on Ridecamp
and in other articles and publications.

2. Did not give his horse a chance to become acclimated mentally or
physically for the job he was being asked to do.

3. Did not have proper concern for the long term welfare of his horse.

Perhaps THIS particular horse was strong enough and mentally capable of
handling what was asked of him, and PERHAPS his rider knew that....but
he put his horse at risk....he couldn't KNOW. His behavior could result
in other, less knowledgeable individuals attempting to duplicate this
"feat".

I would't care if he were my brother, my spouse, or my great, great,
grandfather...my opinion would be the same.

Keep him out there.....he is not someone I would trust to ride MY
horses.

Jim, Sun of Dimanche, and Mahada Magic