Re: What does Long Slow Distance mean to you?

I would figure it takes about 300 to 600 saddle miles to get a horse's back
strong enough for endurance. 300 for a tiny hiney and 600 for the averge size
male. I don't believe there are any shortcuts here. So I like to do the
graduated weight thing.  Of course there are no tiny hiney's in this house
either so I have to pay a trainer to put 4 to six weeks on them - but it is
worth it. We have a 4 yo coming back tomorrow from 6 weeks with the trainer who
is up to about 6 to 10 miles of easy trotting on him.

Next he goes to "boot camp" to start dressage training so he can learn how to
round his back and use himself properly. With our guys we are always throwing in
dressage stuff on the trail just to keep them rounded and balanced and flexible.
If they start to get too strung out on the trail it's back to the ring for a
refresher.

I believe you can eaisly strain the back of (especially) a young horse with too
many saddle miles (no matter the speed) to early.

There is a lot more to conditioning a horse than just the leg muscles.

Truman