help! feed everywhere

I should have been more clear.  My feeder with the rock in it ARE on the
floor.  I could not agree more that the best way to feed a horse is on the
ground.  My feeders (for grain) are flat pans which sit on the floor.  For
the hay - I find that if I keep putting the hay in relatively the same spot
every day it forms it's own "bed" to lie on.  Here in NE Ohio we get our
share of mud, everytime the temp rises above freezing all the snow and ice
gets mucky.  It's plenty muddy around the hay - but they waste no more
outside than they do inside.  Since I have done all my feeding from the
ground I don't have to have their teeth floated as often - they definately
wear more evenly.
~Randi