Re: Re: Re: help! feed everywhere

>             That's a great idea.   I think your idea would help a lot in
an
> area that does not have "significant" rainful or where there is poor to no
> drainage, but would not solve the problem completely for wetter areas.   I
> feed on the ground, but here in Texas, even on a well-drained, grassy
> hillside, if I feed more than twice in the same spot when it's "a wet
time",
> I have a mudhole.

That's why you have to have some gravel in the mix.  We used this method in
Boise, and the winters there could get pretty sloppy.  We couldn't have
eliminated the mud just by making a high spot with our regular soil, so
that's why we hauled in the gravel mix.  If it is higher than the
surrounding ground, the moisture will tend to drain out of it, whereas if
you used the regular soil with a lot of clay content, it would hold the
water and still be muddy.  I know you have a lot of clay in your area, so
you'd have to put quite a bit of gravel in the mix, I would think.

Heidi