snow

Happy New Year
Winter riding is the best. The horses do great in the cold. I stop riding at -25C . The horses warm up fast and put out lots of heat to help keep me warm. My feet do get cold but I use hot shots sometimes.
Wind chill is unpleasant but once in the trees or valley the wind chill stops. I try to ride in the afternoon and be back before dark when the temp drops.
I brush snow off the back before I saddle if there is any. I don't worry about a wet back it drys soon enough.
When I return from riding I put a polar fleece on right away to help draw the sweat off. Polar fleece is not warm without some wind proofing so I will throw a rain blanket on if it is windy.
I brush the ice and snow off the legs and towel dry the neck face and belly. I made a polar fleece neck wrap to help draw sweat off the neck. Not a full hood just a neck wrap that goes over the ears.
I then let the horse go naked to roll and dry abit.
It starts to get real cold here about 5pm so I check them and usually put on a New Zealand winter blanket. I do not use hoods. First thing the next morning I get the blanket off regardless of temp. They have run in sheds and lots of wind protection.
I have a Gortex and polar fleece rump rug(can be seen at www.BiothaneTack.com)  on my saddle to use if I need it. All my horses are used to riding with a rump rug and winter is as good as time as any to get them used to it. Helps if I have to tie up somewhere for a while to keep them from getting  chilled and cramping.
We have short summers in Alberta so winter riding is a must.
Happy snowy trails
Paddi