Feed everywhere!

Here in Central Michigan I was lucky enough to find a commercial tire place that turns tractor tires inside out.  It makes a virtually indestructable, physiologically correct (on the ground) feeder that won't put gashes in legs even if the horses are having some pretty serious disagreements over eating space.  I put a sheet of plywood (cut to fit) in the bottom with drain holes cut in it to catch the fines from the hay.  I usually use them only for hay, but have fed grain in them as well.  Unless the hay is unusually long and stemmy, they have trouble even getting that over the side, if I break up the sections of the bale.  Too big for barns, but perfect for turnout lots and pastures.

Laurie Hilyard