Re: RC: Re: Another troublesome body-part

While sickle hock is a common flaw in a walking horse it is still a
conformational flaw - just like it is for any other breed of horse - and
one selected for endurance should not have it, else they will get hock
problems. The overstride should come from a long loose rear end driving
hard hence allowing the other back leg to reach farther naturally not
from crooked legs.

On the other hand as a walker becomes more fit, their walk will get
faster. My mare has a walking speed (plain old walk here ) of about the
same speed of a trotting horse's slow trot. Because of the long loose
stride there is a tremendious amount of thrust in their pelvis at the
walk - which can transfer to your pelvis. This can in fact put stress on
the riders lower back - especially if you are riding in a treeless saddle
like a sports saddle. I rode a sports saddle on the mare for about 5
miles and I could not ride her at a walk because of this thrust. With a
normal saddle with a tree it's not too bad but it can still be there..

Every horse is different and every person is different. I can ride some
horses and consider them very smooth whereas my wife will not think them
smooth at all and the horses she thinks smooth I do not. The body
structure of both the horse and rider play into what is a smooth horse
and what isn't.

All that being said I sure wish I had that canter and gallop of my mares
on my Arab, sigh. The good news is her filly is coming on to two and in
about 4 years I'll hitting the trail on a smooth ride.

Truman

--
Vertex Engineering, Inc.
Innovative Solutions