Tying-Up, APF, AERC Convention

I was contacted "off list" concerning tie-up and the application of APF (Advanced Protection Formula).  Since this has recently been a topic of concern to several of you out there and the nutritional information behind my product is not well understood, I thought I would post my reply here as well.

Also, if anyone would like to speak with me, I will be in Booth #123.  I am scheduled to present a demonstration on Friday.  I look
forward to seeing you in Reno.

_________________________
I have spent the last seven years working with a number of formulations of
adaptogenic herbs in my practice.  As an equine veterinarian of more than 25
years, I can state that these herbs exert a remarkable effect on the
metabolism of the horse.  Please visit our website www.auburnlabs.com  for
more information regarding APF.  You can find a testimonial on tying-up
(myositis) under "Success Stories".  This is only one of many.  The research
available on adaptogens as a category of herbs is extensive.  Because the
stress response and its attendant cascade of metabolic changes is universal
among animals (stress is the same in a fish or a rabbit or a horse or you),
the research done may reasonably be extrapolated.

I feel very strongly that you should consult your veterinarian before you
begin ANY nutritional program.  If he/she would like to speak with me,
please have them call me at 1.877.661.3505.

The benefits of adaptogens are multiple, but it's their remarkable ability
to act with the cell to maintain optimal absorption of glucose that may be
the primary key to their effectiveness in managing myositis (tying-up).  In
1983, Professor Norman Farnsworth of University of Illinois confirmed
previous studies which showed that Eleutherococcus senticosus helped glucose
cross the cell membrane faster, resulting in a more rapid stabilization.

One of the most important functions of adaptogens is their apparent ability
to act as powerful anti-oxidants in helping to maintain cell metabolism.
Whether this is a direct effect of plant extracts or occurs via activation
of the body's antioxidant defense systems is unclear.  For example, the rise
in blood glucose seen within 15 minutes of administration to fasted rats and
enhanced blood sugar levels in the early stages of stress/exercise with
eleutherococcus are probably direct effects while the modulation in
cortisone release and hepatic glycogen breakdown with prolonged stress could
have both direct effects and  antioxidant components.

Another effect of eleutherococcus directly relevant to overtraining that is
almost certainly an antioxidant one is the prevention of cell membrane
oxidation and beta-lipoprotein formation in the membranes. Beta-lipoproteins
form as a direct result of insult from oxygen free radicals.  They have been
linked to the cell's decreased responsiveness to insulin which in turn is
part of the catabolic response.  Dardymov's 1974 and 1976 work with stressed
and exercised rats showed eleutherococcus protects against insulin
resistance caused by elevated beta-lipoprotein.

                 Biofizika 1997 Mar-Apr;42(2):480-3

                  [Antioxidant properties of a series of extracts from
medicinal
                               plants].

                                        [Article in Russian]

                 Bol'shakova IV, Lozovskaia EL, Sapezhinskii II

                 Investigation of antioxidant properties of some plants was
carried
                 out. A group of plants affected human central nervous
system was
                 studied in detail. Efficiency of plants as antioxidants was
tested by
                 the influence of their extracts on the yield of
photochemiluminescence
                 of Gly-Trp solutions. Antioxidant properties were examined
under their
                 own absorption was minimized. Riboflavin as additional
sensitizer was
                 used in this experiment for superoxide generation. The
antioxidant
                 effect was evaluated with regard to single dose of plant
extracts
                 and their concentration in human organism. The effect
decreases in the
                 following consequence: Hypericum > Eleutherococcus >
Rhodiola >
                 Leonurus > Aralia > Valeriana > Echinopanax > Schizandra >
Panax
                 gin-seng.
                 ----------------------
Our formula, APF, contains four adaptogens, all listed in the above study -
Eleutherococcus senticosus, Rhodiola rosea, Echinopanax elatus and Schizandr
a chinensis.  When these herbs are combined in proper ratios, their actions
are potentiated, making them more effective than single herbs.

Again, I have been using these herbs in horses since 1994 and began
marketing this formulation in 2000, after careful study and a history of
field use in my practice and the practice of other veterinarians.  Every
batch of APF is tested at a FEI level lab to guarantee that it complies
fully with all regulations and it is allowed by the medications rules of
AHSA.

I hope this answers your concerns.
Michael Van Noy, DVM
www.auburnlabs.com