Re: RC: Question for the serious trail rider.

I am on the east coast also, and have had mixed experiences with
barn owners.  Most have had very open hours to ride, 6 am to 11 pm,
and boarders can ride with lessons as long as they are respectful and
ask for lines and changes of direction.  No one has ever complained
if I trailered my horse back in the middle of the night, and they feed
whatever I ask for which has included mashes, beet pulp, medications
and so forth.  I am never charged extra for the feeds I've requested.  I
would also stress that access to trails is a must!  At least an hours
worth, directly from the barn.  An ring or dressage area is also
essential, as is a wash stall with hot and cold running water.  These
aspects, on top of good horse care [clean stalls and buckets, good
fences, good turnout with run-in sheds].  Things not important are the
snazzy aspects to a facility:  viewing areas, heated lounges or tack
rooms, fancy wood paneling, brass fixtures, grooming areas etc.
Beth Glace