RE:chains vs. cables to get unstuck

Jonni jonnij@ntws.net
If you have ever see the results of a tow chain break, and come flying into the windshield of a car, you will never use a tow chain again. If you must use a chain to pull someone out, there are a few precautions you can do. First, if you have to hook to the front of the stuck vehicle, lift the hood. That way if the chain does break, it can not come through the windshield as easy. And us caution with people standing nearby also.

I have no experience with a tow cable. Personally, we have a large nylon webbing tow "rope". It is about 3" wide, with loops on each end. It rolls nice and tight, and fits under the seat of the truck very well. And, when it gets dirty, it can be hosed off, or even tossed in the washer. (put in a pillow case first would keep from tangling some) I think we got ours at a Camping World store.

But PLEASE, be careful with those chains. They can, and will break. (anything can break, but chain is more deadly than the rope or webbing)

Jonni