Want to make a Difference for Endurance Horses?

Hi everyone,

I'm sure many of you haven't heard about this idea.  Please take the
time to read the attached flyer, and email me if you're interested.
This project, which I named "Taking Care of Our Own" is an opportunity
for us as Endurance Community Members to  lobby AERC to assess another
$1 per rider per ride fee that would be used for research and education
for the benefit of our horses.  The initial idea is that AERC would
collect the funds, and the AERC Vet Committee would award grants out of
this fund.  (About $15,000.- $20,000. per year would be raised!!)  The
Vet Committee's selections could be approved by the BOD, as well.
Jamie Kerr, Barney Fleming, and Sue Garlinghouse have been contacted on
a preliminary basis about this idea, and think it's worth pursuing and
discussing further.   I envision this as a community project, so please,
give your ideas and insight.

It seems to me that we've relied on the good graces and freebies from
the incredible vets and researchers in our field for a while, and we can
take greater responsibility for causing excellence in scientific
research and education in our sport.  Jamie Kerr has invited me to speak
at the AERC Convention before the Vet Committee regarding this project.
It's a little intimidating to think about doing it, but I really believe
in the possibility of this project -- responsibility and compassion.

This is a draft of a flyer for AERC convention distribution possibly.
Comments, revisions, etc... would be greatly appreciated.  Anymore ideas
about how to make this happen?  Regional coordinators?  Who wants to
handle emails and or calls about this project?  Any volunteers?  So far,
Pascal Karl (MT Region), Tom Manaraze (SW Region), Bridget Shaw (MT
Region), Fred Cluskey (CT Region), and Diana Zettlemoyer (MT Region)
have said they would help with this effort.  Care to join us?

We need emails of support right now.  Please at least send us one of
those with your name and AERC number for confirmation.

Lisa Ashbach (MT Region)
970-690-3864
Want to make a difference for Endurance Horses?
"Taking Care of Our Own" is an opportunity for Endurance Riders to
provide the financial resources to insure the best possible care is
available for Endurance Horses in the United States and Canada.  A minor
and simple addition to the A.E.R.C. fee structure will make this happen…

A.E.R.C. adoption of an additional fee assessment of $1 per rider per
ride will create an annual fund of $15,000 to $20,000 per year.  The
Veterinary Committee of the A.E.R.C. will utilize the fund for research
and educational programs generating specific measurable results in the
health of our horses.

"Taking Care of Our Own" is a project for members of the Endurance
community who want to make a difference for the true heroes of our sport
– the horses.

WHAT KIND OF RESEARCH YOU’RE WONDERING??

* Have you heard Sue Garlinghouse speak about her "Body Condition
Scoring" study?  Have you read on Ridecamp about Sue’s research
completed at the Swanton Pacific 100 this past year on Serial Blood
Samples and Body Weight, to identify the metabolically at-risk horse?

* Ever seen Barney Fleming at a ride collecting samples for the "Pride Project"?

* HAVE YOU EVER HAD A HORSE TIE-UP, OR SEEN ONE AT A RIDE AND WONDER WHY
IT HAPPENS TO OUR HORSES?

WHAT KIND OF EDUCATION YOU’RE WONDERING??

* Have you ever planned to manage a ride and not been able to find
enough Endurance Vets in your area?  The Vet Committee has talked about
an education and mentoring program, but requires funds to implement any
program. We need more qualified Vets!

* Vet School Seniors could have an endurance video prepared under the
supervision of the AERC Vet Committee, or lectures from one of our Vets.

* An  Endurance Vet. Certification program has been discussed, but again
any program requires a funding source.

We have the opportunity to take financial responsibility for funding
Endurance-related research and education RIGHT NOW, and on an on-going
basis.   Let’s make it happen…

Call or e-mail to be part of this effort – samaia@earthlink.net or
970-690-3864.  Please send us an email of support and include your name
and AERC member # for confirmation.  Feel free to contact me for
additional info.

We can make this happen at the AERC Convention in Reno if we take action
RIGHT NOW!
begin:vcard
n:Ashbach;Elizabeth L.
tel;fax:970-282-0335
tel;work:970-690-3864
x-mozilla-html:FALSE
org:Cygnet Land Group, LLC
version:2.1
email;internet:samaia@earthlink.net
title:Member
adr;quoted-printable:;;2500 Kechter Rd.=0D=0A;Ft. Collins;CO;80528;
x-mozilla-cpt:;3
fn:Elizabeth L. Ashbach
end:vcard