Re: ride dogs

Title: Re: ride dogs
2)I would like to get a puppy who, when matured and conditioned
> properly, would be able to join me for my conditioning rides. I'm
> willing to wait!! Any suggestions regarding breeds that would be
> suitable?

I have a Rhodesian Ridgeback pup (seven months old now) who I'm training to go on conditioning rides and to stay tied up in camp during events.

He's wonderful.  Very good around horses.  Tireless at the trot, which I'm having to restrict him on, as I want his joints to mature fully before we do more than a 3 mile around the pasture jaunt.  Just a big, goofy, happy to be here pup.  Who manages to scare the be-jesus out of guys at stop lights and gas stations.

I can't reccomend 'em enough.  I did research into all the large dog breeds and kept coming up time and time again with hip problems in most of them once they got about five years old.

The RR's kept testing clear.  Everyone who had a RR said they were like the Energizer Bunny; they keep going and going and going even up into their late teens.

They were bred to hunt lions in the brush in South Africa.  They take the heat, the rough terrain and long distances in stride.

And it makes my husband a little easier when I have a 60+ pound dog in the back seat of my truck when I go out.  He'll rest a little easier knowing on rides, I'll have Burt sleeping right next to me.  Something about big dogs, even the very easy going ones, that just tends to keep people from getting real close without permission. . .