Re: Re: ride dogs (Ridgebacks)

I have a Ridgeback, too.  She's very obedient and sticks with me very well.
She's also super lazy in the house and doesn't shed much.  They have very
good stamina & endurance & are very loyal.  I found mine rather hard to
train (she was stubborn & willfully disobedient as a puppy compared to other
breeds I have experience with), once she got to about 2 she was very good.
Unfortunately, she sticks *too* close to the back of my gelding and she got
kicked in the eye socket in December...  Our RR tends to have ear problems
and problems with trash gut, the local vet said he has seen those types of
problems in other RR's.  If you get interested in RR's hook up with a good
breeder and get to know their dogs.  You can sometimes find good bargains on
well-bred ridgeless puppies (culls) through breeders.  There are problems in
the breed like dermoids & cateracts.  Just like anything, do the research &
know what you are getting into.

Dalmatians - bred to run with a carriage - are also likely good distance
dogs & are usually obtainable through rescue organizations.

Michelle
(Colorado)