Keeping Horses Warm

Tonight at my barn my horse was a bit cold after being
out in the rain all day, so I put his sheet on him and
gave him extra hay.  This is N. Cal., and the temp.
was in the 50s, with lows predicted for low 30s
overnight.  The wrangler told me a story his brother
told him about how he saw some people helping their
horses stay warm. (This was in Breckenridge,
Colorado.) Seems they turned a hose adjusted to a very
fine mist on the horses to "set" their hair.  Neither
the wrangler nor I knew whether this was a valid
option in colder climes, an old wives' tale, or
actually dangerous to the horses.  I've heard about
doing this to fruit trees before a frost, but don't
know about doing it to horses.  Any comments?

Robin