From: <guest@endurance.net>
To: <ridecamp@endurance.net>
Sent: Saturday, February 17, 2001 1:46 PM
Subject: RC: The dreaded tying up sydrome. Can anyone help?

> BPrunty bprunty@adams .net
> Looked in the archives and didn't find a lot in reference to this. If it
is there please bear with a new ridecamp user. After finally scrimping
together enough money to buy my next endurance horse I find myself with all
the right breeding, all the right P & Rs, and all the right bone structure
etc etc and tying up syndrome. To say this is a disappointment for me is a
gross understatement! Rode my other distance partner in competitive rides
till I learned enough to ride endurance and by the time we started to do
well he was 21. I am not a newbie who doesn't know how to start slow so with
that said she has tyed up on numerous occasions. Usually within 10 to 20
minutes of even light exercise such as trotting on a longe line etc. I have
tried this mare on Selenium supplement and had limited success. Finished one
fairly tough 25 miler on her and did fine. I am wondering if there is any
future for this mare who seemed to have so much potential when I bought her.
Any ideas? Email lin!
> ks,  or post an answer as I wonder if I should continue to keep trying
with this mare? I rode this mare for over an hour in 95 plus degree weather
the day I bought her and had not a problem. She was in Nebraska at the time
and we are from Illinois. Feed related changes? Any problems with
alfalfa/grass hay mix being linked to this? Please help as another endurance
horse isn't in my pocketbooks future! Should I sell this mare? Also for
grain I feed a plain grain mix of rolled oats, rolled barley and cracked
corn and have free choice mineral and salt available.