The dreaded tying up sydrome. Can anyone help?

All I'm going to tell you is my personal experience with a few tying up
sydrome horses.

Warm up was VERY important. I would never have let one of these horses on
a lunge line since they certainly wouldn't have walked a minimum of 15
min.

Treat uphill walking the same as trotting.  Don't do it for a warmup.  A
friend's horse tied up royally at a walk when it was a long gradual
climb.

Never confine one of these horses. Turn out at all times.

Treat hauling as confinement. Cut the grain and do an extra good warm-up
afterwards.

The horse I dealt with tied up when we were low on good grass hay.  I try
to keep lots of grass hay in front of them. I only use alfalfa in
competition, but can't argue nutrition stuff.  I'd feed low grain before
riding her and give a little extra after a ride.  You might have to cut
the carbos some and fill in with fat...have I got that right Susan?

The tying up that comes late in a ride seems to be a whole different
ballgame than these warming up tie-ups.  If we made it past the first 5
or 10 miles we were home free.

I've heard mares are more prone and it may have something to do with
their heat cycle.  Check into that.

It never ceases to amaze me how casual some people are about warming up.
Kaboot has never tied up and you would think he does it all the time by
how paranoid I am. You can't make me trot the first 15 minutes after I
get on.  Before a race I walk 15 min. then alternate walking and trotting
for 15.  Can't believe the people who hop on and say they'll just start
slow.  I have one training trail that starts at my mom's in a suburbian
neighborhood and goes straight up the side of a mountain.  I know those
people hate me since I unload my horse at my mom's house, then lead him
around the flat circle road for 15 min. before I'll start up the
mountain.  yap, yap, yap go all the little Pomeranians early Saturday
morning. >g<

Angie

GET INTERNET ACCESS FROM JUNO!
http://dl.www.juno.com/get/tagj.